ROBERT BREEZE was a convict who was tried and convicted alongside JOHN HART at the Old Bailey, London and sentenced to death for “the offence of using fire arms, and shooting at a boat, in the service of the revenue; and likewise at an officer in the execution of his duty” while on board a vessel, (the Mary). At the close of the very lengthy trial, BREEZE and his co-accused JOHN HART were recommended for mercy. When the Judge asked the grounds for the Jury’s recommendation, the Jury replied: “The reason we make this application is the bad characters of some of the witnesses, and the notorious one of him who led the prisoners into this crime, and who has escaped justice.” On 12 May 1791, his death sentence was commuted to transportation for life, but this would prove to be a death sentence all the same.
BREEZE arrived per Pitt (1791) on 14 February 1792 only to die a little over one month later. “ROBERT BREEZE, Convict” was buried in an unmarked grave at St. John’s Cemetery, Parramatta on 30 March 1792.
- Alias: JOE BREEZE (c.f. Old Bailey record)
- Unmarked grave, exact location unknown, St. John’s Cemetery, Parramatta
- Old Bailey Proceedings Online (www.oldbaileyonline.org, version 8.0), 8 December 1790, trial of ROBERT BREEZE and JOHN HART (t17901208-32).
- Old Bailey Proceedings Online (www.oldbaileyonline.org, version 8.0), 8 December 1790, trial of ROBERT BREEZE and JOHN HART (t17901208-32), https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?div=t17901208-32, accessed 10 March 2019.
- Parish Burial Registers, Textual records, St. John’s Anglican Church Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia.
- The Digital Panopticon (https://www.digitalpanopticon.org/, version 1.1), Robert Breeze Life Archive (ID: obpt17901208-32-defend347) https://www.digitalpanopticon.org/life?id=obpt17901208-32-defend347, accessed 10 March 2019.
- The Digital Panopticon (https://www.digitalpanopticon.org/, version 1.1), John Hart Life Archive (ID: obpt17901208-32-defend349) https://www.digitalpanopticon.org/life?id=obpt17901208-32-defend349, accessed 10 March 2019.
# Trial Place: Old Bailey
# Sentence: Death (commuted)
# Punishment: Transportation for Life
# Ship: Pitt (1792)
# Grave: unmarked
This profile is a stub. Further information will be added in due course.