One of 17 First Fleeters with memorials buried at St. John’s Cemetery, Parramatta. Alt was the first surveyor of lands in the Colony of New South Wales.
- Augustus Theodore Henry Alt
- Section 1, Row J, No. 1, St. John’s Cemetery, Parramatta
- Spouse of Sophia Alt (maiden name unknown)
- Parent of Caroline Alt
- Parent of Augusta Alt
- Common law husband of First Fleet convict Ann George
- Parent of Lucy Alt (1790-1806)
- Parent of Henry George Alt (b.1799)
Augustus Alt: The Baron (2016)
By David Morgan
Abstract: Augustus Alt was the first Surveyor-General of New South Wales (1787-1803). His life, beginning in upper-class London in 1734 and ending in insolvency in Parramatta in 1815, had been one of adventure across Europe as an army officer, surveyor, engineer – and mercenary. One of the oldest members of the First Fleet, he suffered ill health soon after his arrival and it is unclear just how much surveying was done by him personally. His key role may have been as an advisor to Governor Phillip on land matters. more>>
- Judith Dunn, The Parramatta Cemeteries: St. John’s, (Parramatta, NSW: Parramatta and District Historical Society, 1991).
- Mollie Gillen, The Founders of Australia: A Biographical Dictionary of the First Fleet, (Sydney: Library of Australian History, 1989), p.7.
- Parish Burial Records, Textual Records, St. John’s Anglican Church Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia.
# First Fleet
# Burial year: 1815
# Grave: marked