AUGUSTUS ALT was the first surveyor of lands in the Colony of New South Wales. He is one of more than fifty First Fleeters buried in the parish of St. John’s, Parramatta and one of only seventeen with memorial plaques in St. John’s Cemetery.
- Full name: AUGUSTUS THEODORE HENRY ALT
- Unofficial Title: BARON ALT
- Colloquial: ‘LORD A’
- Section 1, Row J, No. 1, St. John’s Cemetery, Parramatta
- Spouse of SOPHIA ALT (maiden name unknown)
- Parent of CAROLINE ALT
- Parent of AUGUSTA ALT
- Common law husband of First Fleet convict ANN GEORGE
- Parent of LUCY ALT (1790–1806)
- Parent of HENRY GEORGE ALT (b.1799)
Augustus Alt: The Baron (2016)
By David Morgan
Abstract: Augustus Alt was the first Surveyor-General of New South Wales (1787-1803). His life, beginning in upper-class London in 1734 and ending in insolvency in Parramatta in 1815, had been one of adventure across Europe as an army officer, surveyor, engineer – and mercenary. One of the oldest members of the First Fleet, he suffered ill health soon after his arrival and it is unclear just how much surveying was done by him personally. His key role may have been as an advisor to Governor Phillip on land matters. more>>
- Parish Burial Registers, Textual Records, St. John’s Anglican Church Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia.
- James Scott, Remarks on a Passage to Botany Bay, 1787–1792: A First Fleet Journal, (Sydney: Trustees of the Public Library of New South Wales in association with Angus and Robertson, 1963. Transcript at http://acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/_transcript/2014/D00007/a1142.html
- B. T. Dowd, “Augustus Alt, First Surveyor-General of New South Wales,” Journal of the Royal Australian Historical Society, Vol. 48, pt. 5, (1962): 360–369.
- B. T. Dowd, “Alt, Augustus Theodore (1731–1815),” Australian Dictionary of Biography, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/alt-augustus-theodore-1702/text1845, published first in hardcopy 1966, accessed online 6 January 2019.
- Judith Dunn, The Parramatta Cemeteries: St. John’s, (Parramatta, NSW: Parramatta and District Historical Society, 1991), p. 63.
- “ALT, Augustus Theodore Henry (1734–1815),” in Mollie Gillen, The Founders of Australia: A Biographical Dictionary of the First Fleet, (Sydney: Library of Australian History, 1989), p. 7.
- “GEORGE, Ann (c1764–1814),” in Mollie Gillen, The Founders of Australia: A Biographical Dictionary of the First Fleet, (Sydney: Library of Australian History, 1989), pp. 141–42.
- Paul-Alan Johnson, “Augustus Alt: The Life of Australia’s First Surveyor-General to 1788,” Journal of the Royal Australian Historical Society, Vol. 74, Pt. 1 (June, 1988): 11–21.
- Paul-Alan Johnson, “The Planning, Properties and Patriarchy of Surveyor-General Augustus Alt,” Journeys: Journal of the Ashfield and District Historical Society, No. 17, (Ashfield, NSW, 2008).
- Terry Kass, Sails to Satellites: The Surveyors General of NSW (1786–2007), (Bathurst: NSW Department of Lands, 2008).
# Grave: marked